Your HVAC system is only as powerful as the thermostat that controls it. If you recently upgraded your heating and cooling system or you still have a manual thermostat in your home, it is a good idea to consider upgrading to a programmable thermostat.
With so many options available, it can be hard for homeowners to know which programmable thermostat to purchase. We recommend homeowners evaluate which features best fit their lifestyle. To help homeowners do this, we are sharing some key features of programmable thermostats.
The best programmable thermostats include the following features:
- Programmable temperature. Every programmable thermostat allows you to set different heating and cooling schedules. What you should pay attention to is how many different schedules can be set. Some programmable thermostats will let you set a temperature schedule for every day of the week, while others only allow one schedule for weekdays and one for weekends. There are also models available that allow you to set different temperatures for specific times of day, days of the week and multiple rooms in your house.
- Wi-Fi accessibility. A smart thermostat that connects to Wi-Fi allows you to control your thermostat via a smartphone, tablet or laptop. This feature is great when you are out of town and need to change your temperature settings because the weather changes drastically or your travel plans change unexpectedly.
- 24/7 troubleshooting. A smart thermostat can also create a link between your home and your preferred HVAC service provider. If there is an issue with your heating or cooling system — or it stops working completely — your smart thermostat will send you and your HVAC service provider an alert.
- Modern display and controls. Another feature to think about is the thermostat’s display. Some thermostats have large backlit displays and intuitive touchscreen capabilities to make it easier for users to see and adjust settings. Some models will also come equipped with voice activation controls.
- Compatibility. Unfortunately, not every programmable thermostat will be compatible with your HVAC system or your internet provider. Be sure to check the compatibility requirements before making a purchase.
Which programmable thermostat is right for your home?
If you enjoy technology and have a busy lifestyle, a smart thermostat with Wi-Fi accessibility might be the right choice for you. If all the bells and whistles and advanced programming options are not important to you, a more standard programmable thermostat could be the best option.
Either way, it’s important to do your research before purchasing a new programmable thermostat. If you’ve read this blog post, you’re off to a great start. Have questions? Contact us today. We’d be happy to discuss which programmable thermostat would be best for your home, lifestyle and comfort needs.